X-Pac Compact Rando Bag - NEW
A "just right" bag for spirited rides. When designing our Compact Rando Bag, we applied the "Goldilocks principle": make a bag that's not too small or big, and not too simple or complex. We ended up with a light and efficient bag—nothing's there that doesn't need to be. And we kept it functional, with 3 pockets and a wraparound stiffener. Access to your stuff is quick and easy, with a water-resistant zipper on top and hook and loop fasteners for the pockets.
Our Compact Rando Bag mounts securely to your rack without adding a decaleur...avoiding complexity, expense and weight.
How we achieved a tight bag/rack interface:
- Heavy duty straps cinch securely around the rack rails.
- Stiff leather sleeves encase the straps, restricting movement.
- A wraparound stiffener—held under tension—applies pressure against the rack.
- Leather “tombstone” sleeve creates a snug fit.
Why we broke with tradition and used X-Pac™ fabric:
I took on this project after receiving requests to make a "lightish" rando bag. I wanted to keep a classic look, but I didn't want to restrict myself by only using heritage materials. X-Pac X10™ fabric strikes a nice balance by combining natural cotton duck with the modern performance of Dimension-Polyant's sailcloth technology.
We also used YKK Uretek™ water-resistant zippers, ITW® Nexus/Fastex hardware and hook and loop fasteners for their ease of use and light weight.
Why we got rid of the map case pocket:
Omitting the top flap and map case shaves off a few ounces. Also, you may want to forgo a map case If you live in a cold climate, since even the best marine-grade vinyl will eventually crack in sub-zero temps. Lastly, while a map case is convenient for...well, paper maps...it's not as necessary as it once was.
This bag is sized to fit the Nitto M-12 rack, Nitto Mark’s rack, Velo Orange and other *similarly sized* Randonneur style front racks (see fitting guide diagram). Non-standard sized mini racks and other rack styles will NOT mount securely. Please contact me with any fit questions before purchase.
Please note: In the process of improving our products, we occasionally make running changes. Actual item may slightly vary from what is shown in the photos.
- DIMENSION-POLYANT X-PAC X10™ cotton duck fabric with X-Ply™ reinforcement and waterproof film backing. German manufacturer since 1966.
- YKK URETEK™ water-resistant zipper. Japanese manufacturer since 1934.
- ITW NEXUS/FASTEX™ hardware. American manufacturer since 1912.
- WEAVER 100% VEGETABLE TANNED leather. American manufacturer since 1973.
- 2 REAR POCKETS with hook and loop closure
- WIDE FRONT POCKET fits most folded maps
- Removable, HIDDEN STIFFENER helps prevent sagging
- LIGHT COLORED INTERIOR makes it easy to see inside
- YKK URETEK™ water-resistant zipper
- D-RINGS to attach optional Shoulder Strap
- REPLACEABLE heavy-duty rack straps included
- Inside dimensions (main compartment): 9.75"w x 7.5"h x 5.75"d (25 x 19 x 15 cm)
- Outside dimensions (inc. pockets): 10"w x 7.75"h x 9.25"d (25 x 20 x 23 cm)
- Capacity: approx. 6.75 L
- Weight (incl. straps/stiffener): 19 oz (539 g)
- Weight (incl. straps, stiffener removed for weight weenies): 13.5 oz (383 g)